6/17/2009

Irregular Public Service Announcements: Perez Hilton

Irregular public service announcements (IPSAs) are irregular due to the fact that I will only ever post them when something comes up that I absolutely have to say, right there at that very moment, because I'm caught up in the heat of my own emotions at the situation.

Generally IPSAs are going to apply to whatever I've been reading on the regular newswire that day; i.e. the gossip rags (I find TMZ.com the very best for up to the second updates) and how they're reacting to certain issues and the like.

I can almost guarantee that a number of these IPSAs are going to relate directly to Perez Hilton.

Let me give you a little background on my opinions of Mr. Hilton (or Lavandeira, for the purists). I've always been predisposed to enjoy gossip rags at the grocery store; I cannot explain my need for information about everyday comings and goings of celebrities. I discovered this whole pop culture news blogging phenomena a few years ago - roughly right about the time that Mario Lavandeira was revisioning PageSixSixSix.com into its current form; PerezHilton.com.

I loved it, because it seemed to be fresh information for which I had no original source. Always entertaining, always opinionated; always interesting, and with a very liberal-minded swing towards the world (surely due to Perez's entrenchment in a niche lifestyle demographic). Also, it was chock full of cool photos that I usually didn't have my own access to.

It's been quite a while now, and Perez has certainly built himself an empire from which to crash quite spectacularly. Not that I am suggesting this is what will happen, or what should happen - I just think it's somewhat inevitable at this rate. What goes up must come down, and the higher we climb, the harder we fall. I obviously applaud Perez on his ability to network, to charm, to sway the masses; he has a lot of clout, and a lot of charisma.

But so did Hitler. If you ask a Nazi; even if you asked an unsuspecting German citizen at the time, they would tell you that Der Fuhrer was very charismatic and had a seemingly good platform on which to dictate. It's all in the presentation, folks. What it all boils down to is world domination.

That's what it all boils down to for almost anyone in the entertainment industry, and don't even try to tell me otherwise. It's all world domination in the form of networking, socializing, awards, and ratings. I dare you to prove me wrong - and I dare you to do so without referencing Angelina Jolie, as she's still about world domination, but in a charitable sense. It all comes down to having the finances available to do whatever the fuck you want.

... or, in Perez's case, the network and celebrity backing necessary to do whatever the fuck he wants. Which includes posting some pretty offensive opinions, all in the name of fighting for his own causes.

My point here? Perez, you are full of yourself these days. I support your war against Proposition 8. I support your efforts to celebrate and fight for the gay and lesbian community.

IF YOU READ THIS, SINCE THIS IS ALL THAT WILL SEEM IMPORTANT TO YOU - I BELIEVE ANYONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO GET MARRIED, NO MATTER WHAT THEIR ORIENTATION.

But I am not American, and I have no right to vote or fight for American rights - nor do I really have any interest or desire to do so. That is left for you American folks to decide. Instead, I offer this humble opinion.

I think Perez has puffed himself up so high, to be such a crusader for gay rights, that he has forgotten his own humble roots. Do you remember PageSixSixSix.com, Mario? Do you remember what your original intention always was? I would love to know.

Your public service announcement for today comes in a few parts and is directed both at Perez, and anyone else that rabidly follows him with all blinders up.

1.) Please do not ever again suggest that ALL heterosexual pregnancies are unwanted. I know that gay people deserve to be parents just as much as anyone else of any other lifestyle, but it does NOT give you the right to suggest that gay people deserve to be parents MORE than heterosexuals because "those children are actually WANTED". I'm pregnant, buddy, and we want it. Maybe I'm just one person, but for every ONE person pissed off, there's usually a few who agree but weren't aware of the situation. JUST SAYIN', K? THANKS.

2.) On the topic of Adam Lambert, and his supposed "crush on you" - may I offer some advice? Neither of you has a crush on the other one. He suggested that YOU did, because all you ever do is rant and rave about how awesome it is to be a gay American Idol contestant. DEFLATE YOUR HEAD - this whole scenario makes me about as disgusted as listening to middle school students discuss the same general idea. I have a whole LIST of suggestions for Mr. Lambert himself on the topic of moderation and less excess is more, but we'll get into that on another day. This post is for Perez today.

There is a big difference between being proud of who you are, and being an overzealous crusader for your cause. If you keep on down this road, you are going to be no better than Carrie Prejean and her war against gay marriages. Remember the high road.

No comments:

Post a Comment